Sirius Black, the godfather of Harry Potter and a member of the Marauders, is one of the most intriguing and beloved characters in the Harry Potter series. He first appears in “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban”, the third book in the series, and quickly becomes a fan favorite. In the movies, he was portrayed by the talented actor Gary Oldman.
Sirius is a complex character with a troubled past, having been imprisoned in Azkaban for 12 years for a crime he did not commit. Despite his difficult upbringing and his years of confinement, he remains fiercely loyal to his friends and to Harry, whom he treats as his own son.
One of the things that makes Sirius such an interesting character is his way with words. He is known for his wit, his wisdom, and his ability to cut through the nonsense and get to the heart of the matter. In this blog post, we’ll be exploring some of the most memorable and insightful Sirius Black quotes, and looking at what they can teach us about life, love, and friendship.
Some of the quotes appear in the following video:
Table of Contents
- Sirius Black Quotes from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Sirius Black Quotes from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Sirius Black Quotes from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Interesting Facts about Sirius Black
Sirius Black Quotes from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
It’s cruel that I got to spend so much time with James and Lily, and you so little. But know this; the ones that love us never really leave us.
How dare you speak to Harry? How dare you face him?
Brilliant, Snape – once again you’ve put your keen and penetrating mind to the task and as usual come to the wrong conclusion. Now if you’ll excuse us, Remus and I have some unfinished business to attend to.
I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for.
Why don’t you run along and play with your chemistry set?
Peter Pettigrew! And he’s in this room, right now! Come out, come out, Peter! Come out and play!
It’s beautiful, isn’t it? I’ll never forget the first time I walked through those doors. It’ll be nice to do it again as a free man.
If you made a better rat than human, it’s not much to boast about, Peter.
You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us?
It was as if someone had lit a fire in my head, and the dementors couldn’t destroy it.
Why would I go looking for someone I know wants to kill me?
I did my waiting! Twelve years of it! in Azkaban!
You’d been passing information to him for a year before Lily and James died! You were his spy!
I think the only reason I never lost my mind is that I knew I was innocent. That wasn’t a happy thought, so the dementors couldn’t suck it out of me, but it kept me sane, and knowing who I am helped me keep my powers.
I would have died! I would have died rather than betray my friends, as we would have done for you!
Only one will die tonight.
You know the man you truly are, Remus! This heart is where you truly live! This heart! Here! This flesh is only flesh!
I, a spy for Voldemort? When did I ever sneak around people who were stronger and more powerful than myself?
You are truly your father’s son, Harry.
What was there to be gained by fighting the most evil wizard who has ever existed? Only innocent lives, Peter!
They could tell that my feelings were less – less human, less complex when I was a dog…but they thought, of course, that I was losing my mind like everyone else in there, so it didn’t trouble them.
Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor.
It must have been the finest moment of your miserable life, telling Voldemort you could hand him the Potters.
Sirius Black Quotes from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
I don’t have much time, Harry, so let’s get right to it. Did you or did you not put your name into the Goblet of Fire?
Don’t worry about it, I’m pretending to be a lovable stray.
If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
Yes… it’s just a dream. Look, Harry, the Death Eaters at the world cup; your name rising out of the Goblet of Fire; these are not just coincidences! Hogwarts isn’t safe anymore.
Well, times like that bring out the best in some people and the worst in others.
Keep your eyes open – particularly when the person we discussed is around – and concentrate on keeping yourself out of trouble.
I’m saying the devils are inside the walls.
Sirius Black Quotes from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Voldemort doesn’t march up to people’s houses and bang on their front doors, Harry.
When all this is over we’ll be a proper family. You’ll see.
The world isn’t split into good people and Death Eaters. We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.
You don’t understand — there are things worth dying for!
I had to see you off, didn’t I? What’s life without a little risk?
Keep muttering, and I will be a murderer.
Personally, I’d have welcomed a dementor attack. A deadly struggle for my soul would have broken the monotony nicely.
Well, as everyone thinks I’m a mad mass murderer and the Ministry’s put a ten-thousand-Galleon price on my head, I can hardly stroll up the street and start handing out leaflets, can I?
He might have crawled up into the airing cupboard and died, but I mustn’t get my hopes up.
My mother didn’t have a heart Kreacher. She kept herself alive out of pure spite.
Because accepting that Voldemort’s back would mean trouble like the Ministry hasn’t had to cope with for nearly fourteen years.
I thought the first thing you’d do when you got here would be to start asking questions about Voldemort.
And it’s very important for us to have spies inside the Ministry, because you can bet Voldemort will have them.
Interesting Facts about Sirius Black
After you got inspired by this fine collection of Sirius Black quotes, here are some interesting facts about Sirius Black that may surprise you. Enjoy!
- He Ran Away from Home – Many think that Sirius Black was kicked out of his home when he was still in Hogwarts and because of that, had to find another play to live and that was with James Potter, his best friend at the time. However, he wasn’t kicked out at all. Instead, Black chose to run away when he was 16 years old. The reason for that is unclear, but the assumption is that it was awful to live in the Black family, especially with his abusive mother.
- He Was Imprisoned at 22 – In the movies, actor Gary Oldman plays the role of Sirius Black, and Oldman is a fairly an old actor. Since Sirius appears to be in his 40’s or 50’s by the time the movies came out, and he was imprisoned 10 years before Harry started Hogwarts, then some may think he would be in his late 30’s when he went through this trauma. However, the truth is, Sirius was only 22 years old when he was thrown in Azkaban. The Marauders went through the war very young, which is a tragedy that isn’t made clear enough. James and Lily died when he was only 22, somehow making his story a lot worse.
- Black’s Animagus Form Was Enormous – Sirius’ Animagus form is a dog, and from here comes the nickname Padfoot. The dog in the movies looks like a shaggy crossbreed, which is a little different from a real dog, yet around the same size. However, In the books, Black’s dog form is described more as the size of a bear, making him a lot more terrifying.
- Black is Related to The Weasleys – Pure-bloods often have strange relations that might not be expected. Even Harry Potter and Voldemort are distantly related, if you can believe it, but the truth is that Sirius is actually closely related to the Weasleys. Arthur Weasley is his second cousin once removed and considering all of the characters in the series, this is a pretty close relation. This fact is never really mentioned in the books nor the movies, but with all of the comprehensive family information Rowling has provided, this realization becomes pretty clear.
- He Laughed When Peter Escaped – In the third book of the series, Sirius was described as a villain for most of the book. It is told that when he tracked down Peter and “killed” him in an explosion, he was laughing when the Ministry found him, and so, in this moment we perceive Sirius as insane and evil. Fans mostly assumed that when Sirius was proven innocent, that this story was wildly exaggerated and, as Peter had just escaped, he couldn’t have been laughing. However, Rowling confirmed later on that he was indeed laughing because at that time, Sirius lost everything, and the noise was more hysterical than it was a joyful laugh.
For more quotes from unforgettable characters, please visit our pages dedicated to Inigo Montoya quotes, Spock quotes, Iron Man quotes, and Tyrion Lannister quotes.