“You killed my father. Prepare to die.” These iconic words, spoken by the one and only Inigo Montoya, have become synonymous with the classic film, “The Princess Bride.” As a master swordsman seeking revenge, Inigo’s unwavering determination and quick wit have made him a fan favorite for generations. To pay homage to this classic character, we’ve compiled a list of most memorable Inigo Montoya quotes that will leave you feeling inspired and entertained. So grab your sword and join us as we delve into the world of Inigo Montoya.
Some of the quotes appear in the following video:
Table of Contents
- Inigo Montoya Quotes from The Princess Bride Book
- Inigo Montoya Quotes from The Princess Bride Movie
- Interesting Facts about The Princess Bride
Inigo Montoya Quotes from The Princess Bride Book
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Stop saying that word. It was inconceivable that anyone could follow us, but when we looked behind, there was the man in black. It was inconceivable that anyone could sail as fast as we could sail, and yet he gained on us. Now this too is inconceivable, but look—look… See how he rises.
You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you.
I have spent all these years preparing to find the six-fingered man and kill him in a duel. But he is a master, Yeste.
Am I ready? If you say I am, I will seek him through the world. If you say no, I will spend another ten years and another ten after that, if that is needed.
I do not think you will accept my help since I am only waiting around to kill you.
I am Inigo Montoya and I do not accept defeat.
You know Fezzik, you finally did something right.
I’m Inigo Montoya the Wizard; come for me!
You mean you’ll forgive me completely for saving your life if I completely forgive you for saving mine?
He must have out planned and outthought Vizzini and he will tell me how to break through the castle and kill the six-fingered beast.
You took mine when I was ten; I want yours now. We are lovers of justice, you and I—what could be more just than that?
Inigo Montoya Quotes from The Princess Bride Movie
Vizzini: He didn’t fall? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Inigo Montoya: I do not mean to pry, but you don’t by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
Man in Black: Do you always begin conversations this way?
You know, it’s very strange. I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it’s over, I don’t know what to do with the rest of my life.
No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marry Humperdinck in little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess, make our escape… after I kill Count Rugen.
Inigo Montoya: There is but one working castle gate, and… and it is guarded by 60 men.
Westley: And our assets?
Inigo Montoya: Your brains, Fezzik’s strength, my steel.
Miracle Max: He probably owes you money huh? I’ll ask him.
Inigo Montoya: He’s dead. He can’t talk.
I was eleven years old. And when I was strong enough, I dedicated my life to the study of fencing. So the next time we meet, I will not fail. I will go up to the six-fingered man and say, “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”
There’s not a lot of money in revenge.
Do you hear that, Fezzik? That is the sound of ultimate suffering. My heart made that sound when Rugen slaughtered my father. The man in black makes it now.
He’s right on top of us. I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using.
There will be blood tonight!
Inigo Montoya: I’m going to duel him left-handed.
Vizzini: You know what a hurry we’re in!
Inigo Montoya: Well, is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right… over too quickly.
This is where I am, and this is where I’ll stay. I will not be moved.
Where is this Count Rugen now, so I may kill him?
Inigo Montoya: Have you any money?
Fezzik: I have a little.
Inigo Montoya: I just hope it’s enough to buy a miracle, that’s all.
I need Vizzini to plan. I have no gift for strategy.
Interesting Facts about The Princess Bride
We couldn’t find enough facts about Inigo Montoya, so why not enjoy some interesting facts about The Princess Bride instead? Enjoy!
- The Reason the Book Was Written – The book “The Princess Bride” was written in 1973 by William Goldman. At the time his daughters were 4 and 7, so he decided to write a story for them. He asked them what do they want the story to be about, so one of them said a princess, while the other said a bride. And so, that gave him the title of the book.
- The Drinking Habits of Andre The Giant – Andre The Giant drank, and drank a lot! It is said that 3 bottles of cognac and 12 bottles of wine only made a bit tipsy. According to actress Robin Wright, when the cast would go out for dinner, Andre would order four appetizers and five entrees, and would drink out of a 40-ounce beer pitcher filled with a mix of liquors, a concoction he used to call “The American.”
- The Unconventional Way Andre Had Learned His Lines – The director of the movie and the author of the book met Andre at a bar in Paris. He was physically perfect for the part, so the two had him audition for the movie. The problem was, that director Rob Reiner didn’t understand a word Andre was saying. And so, Reiner recorded Andre’s part on tape, just the way he wanted it to be, and Andre would listen to the tape and study it until he got much better saying his lines.
- A Real Injury on Screen – When Westley recognizes Count Rugen as the six-fingered man, according to the script, he needs to knock the hero unconscious with the butt of his sword. During filming of the scene, Christopher Guest, who played Rugen, didn’t want to really hit Elwes, because he was afraid of hurting him. Unfortunately, this made all of the takes look unconvincing. Finally, Elwes suggested Guest to just hit him for real. Eventually, that hit was a little too hard, and Elwes was knocked unconscious for real, only to awake in the hospital emergency room later. It was that take, with Elwes passing out for real, that made it to the film.
For more quotes from famous book and movie characters, please visit our pages dedicated to Thor quotes, Spock quotes, Pennywise quotes, and Hannibal Lecter quotes.