Indiana Jones is a series of films and an American franchise created by George Lucas. The movies follow the adventures of professor of archaeology Dr. Henry Walton “Indiana” Jones, Jr., played by Harrison Ford. In this article, we share with you the most memorable Indiana Jones quotes from all the movies in the series.
The first film, Raiders of the Lost Ark, came out in 1981 and was a huge success, as with a budget of $20 million, it grossed more than $389 million. Following its success, a second movie was produced and filmed and came out in 1984, called Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
Needless to say, the second movie succeeded just as the first, and a new movie franchise has emerged to the world. The third film came out in 1989 called Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and the fourth film came out in 2008 called Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The fifth film in the series is planned to be produced in 2023.
This franchise is loved and cherished worldwide with phrases from the films constantly being quoted all the time. So, it’s time for you now to enjoy our list of Indiana Jones quotes.
Here is a sneak peek at the quotes in this article:
Table of Contents
- Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark Quotes (1981)
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Quotes (1984)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Quotes (1989)
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Quotes (2008)
- Interesting Facts about Indiana Jones Movie Series
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark Quotes (1981)
Indiana Jones: Meet me at Omar’s. Be ready for me. I’m going after that truck.
Indiana Jones: I don’t know. I’m making this up as I go.
Marion: You’re not the man I knew 10 years ago.
Indiana Jones: It’s not the years, honey, it’s the mileage.
Indiana Jones: You want to talk to God? Let’s go see him together. I’ve got nothing better to do.
Indiana Jones: THERE’S A BIG SNAKE IN THE PLANE, JOCK!
Jock: Oh, that’s just my pet snake Reggie!
Indiana Jones: I HATE SNAKES, JOCK! I HATE ‘EM!
Jock: Come on! Show a little backbone, will ya!
Indiana Jones: Do we need the monkey?
Marion: I’m surprised at you. Talking that way about our baby. He’s got your looks, too.
Indiana Jones: And your brains.
Belloq: How odd that it should end this way for us after so many stimulating encounters. I almost regret it. Where shall I find a new adversary so close to my own level?
Indiana Jones: Try the local sewer.
Indiana Jones: Oh, Marcus. What are you trying to do, scare me? You sound like my mother. We’ve known each other for a long time. I don’t believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus. I’m going after a find of incredible historical significance; you’re talking about the boogie man. Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am.
Indiana Jones: The Ark of the Covenant, the chest that the Hebrews used to carry around the Ten Commandments.
Major Eaton: What, you mean THE Ten Commandments?
Indiana Jones: Yes, the actual Ten Commandments, the original stone tablets that Moses brought down from Mt. Horeb and smashed, if you believe in that sort of thing. Didn’t any of you guys ever go to Sunday school?
Satipo: Let us hurry. There is nothing to fear here.
Indiana Jones: That’s what scares me.
Marion: He said you were a bum.
Indiana Jones: Aw, he’s being generous.
Marion: The most gifted bum he ever trained. You know, he loved you like a son… took a hell of a lot for you to alienate him.
Indiana: Not much… just you.
Colonel Musgrove: Now, what’s that supposed to be coming out of there?
Indiana Jones: Lightning. Fire. The power of God or something.
Major Eaton: I’m beginning to understand Hitler’s interest in this.
Indiana Jones: Adios, Satipo…
Indiana Jones: This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archaeology; not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place. I’m talking about folklore.
Belloq: You and I are very much alike… I am but a shadowy reflection of you. It would take only a nudge to make you like me. To push you out of the light.
Indiana Jones: Now you’re getting nasty.
Indiana Jones: Belloq
Belloq: Good afternoon, Doctor Jones.
Indiana Jones: I oughta kill you right now.
Belloq: Not a very private place for a murder.
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Quotes (1984)
Willie: You’re gonna get killed chasing after your damn fortune and glory!
Indiana Jones: Maybe. But not today.
Indiana Jones: Mola Ram! Prepare to meet Kali… in Hell!
Short Round: Wow! Holy Smoke! Crash landing!
Indiana Jones: Short Round, step on it.
Short Round: Okey dokey, Dr. Jones.
Short Round: Hold on to your potatoes!
Willie: For crying out loud, there’s a kid driving the car!
Indiana Jones: Wear your jewels to bed Princess?
Willie: Yeah… and nothing else. Shock you?
Indiana Jones: Nothing shocks me. I’m a scientist.
Indiana Jones: Willie, we-are-going-to-DIE!
Willie: I hate the water… and I hate being wet… and I hate YOU!
Indiana Jones: GOOD!
Indiana Jones: Are you trying to develop a sense of humor or am I going deaf?
Indiana Jones: Willie, Willie, Willie. What kind of a name is that? Is it short for something?
Willie: Willie is my professional name, Indiana.
Short Round: Hey, lady! You call him Dr. Jones!
Indiana Jones: My professional name.
Willie: There are two dead people in here!
Indiana Jones: There’s gonna be two dead people in here! Hurry!
Willie: What’s that?
Lao Che: Antidote.
Indiana Jones: To what?
Lao Che: The poison you just drank.
Willie: Ooh, what big birds!
Indiana Jones: Those aren’t big birds, sweetheart! They’re giant vampire bats!
Indiana Jones: What a vivid imagination.
Indiana Jones: You want the stones, let ’em go! Let ’em go!
Mola Ram: Drop them, Dr. Jones! They will be found! You won’t!
Lao Che: So it’s true? You’ve found Nurhachi?
Indiana Jones: You know I did. Last night one of your boys tried to get Nurhachi without paying for him.
Lao Che: You have insulted my son.
Indiana Jones: No, you have insulted me. I spared his life
Indiana Jones: We’re in trouble!
Willie: Trouble? What kind of trouble?
Indiana Jones: It’s a long story. Better hurry up or you won’t get to hear it.
Chattar Lal: I should say you look rather lost, but then I can’t imagine where in the world the three of you would look at home.
Indiana Jones: Shorty, where’s my razor?
Indiana Jones: You know what your problem is, Princess? You’re too used to getting your own way.
Willie: And you’re too proud to admit that you’re crazy about me, Dr. Jones!
Indiana Jones: If you want me Willie, you know where to find me.
Willie: Five minutes. You’ll be back over here in five minutes.
Indiana Jones: I’ll be asleep in five minutes.
Indiana Jones: Anything can happen. It’s a long way to Delhi.
Willie: No, thanks. No more adventures with you, Dr. Jones.
Indiana Jones: Sweetheart, after all the fun we’ve had together?
Willie: Give me your hat.
Short Round: Why?
Willie: Because I’m gonna to puke in it!
Willie: So what are you supposed to be, a lion tamer?
Indiana Jones: I’m allowing you to tag along. So why don’t you give your mouth a rest. Okay doll?
Lao Che: You never told me you spoke my language, Doctor Jones.
Indiana Jones: Only on special occasions.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Quotes (1989)
Indiana Jones: How did you know she was a Nazi?
Professor Henry Jones: She talks in her sleep.
Sallah: You are named after the dog? HA HA HA…!
Indiana Jones: I’ve got a lot of fond memories of that dog.
Indiana Jones: Nazis. I hate these guys.
Indiana Jones: Sallah, I said no camels. That’s five camels. Can’t you count?
Indiana Jones: Come on, dad. Help me get us out of here. We have to get to Marcus before the Nazis do.
Professor Henry Jones: But you said he had a two-day head start. That he would blend in, disappear.
Indiana Jones: Are you kidding? I made all that up. You know Marcus. He once got lost in his own museum.
Professor Henry Jones: Those people are trying to kill us!
Indiana Jones: I know, Dad!
Professor Henry Jones: This is a new experience for me.
Indiana Jones: It happens to me all the time.
Elsa: What’s this?
Indiana Jones: Ark of the Covenant.
Elsa: Are you sure?
Indiana Jones: Pretty sure.
Indiana Jones: Archeology is the search for fact, not truth. If it’s truth you’re interested in, Dr. Tyree’s Philosophy class is right down the hall.
Indiana Jones: So forget any ideas you’ve got about lost cities, exotic travel, and digging up the world. We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and “X” never, ever marks the spot.
Indiana Jones: 70% of all archeology is done in the library. Researching. Reading. We cannot afford to take mythology at face value.
Indiana Jones: It’s disgraceful, you’re old enough to be her… her grandfather.
Professor Henry Jones: Well, I’m as human as the next man.
Indiana Jones: I was the next man.
Professor Henry Jones: Oh… ships that pass in the night.
Professor Henry Jones: I didn’t know you could fly a plane.
Indiana Jones: Fly, yes. Land, no.
Elsa: I’ll never forget how vonderful it vas.
Professor Henry Jones: Why thank you. It was rather wonderful.
Elsa: Zat’s how Austrians say goodbye.
Colonel Vogel: Und zis is how ve zay goodbye in Germany, Dr. Jones.
Indiana Jones: I liked the Austrian way better.
Professor Henry Jones: So did I.
Indiana Jones: I came here to SAVE you!
Professor Henry Jones: Oh, yeah? And who’s gonna come to save you, JUNIOR?
Indiana Jones: I told you… DON’T call me Junior!
Panama Hat: Small world, Dr. Jones.
Indiana Jones: Too small for two of us.
Panama Hat: This is the second time I’ve had to reclaim my property from you.
Indiana Jones: That belongs in a museum.
Panama Hat: So do you.
Indiana Jones: I’m like a bad penny, I always turn up.
Kazim: If you don’t let go Dr. Jones, we’ll both die!
Indiana Jones: Then we’ll die!
Kazim: My soul is prepared! How’s yours?
Indiana Jones: What you taught me is that I was less important to you than people who’ve been dead for 500 years in another country. And I learned it so well, that we’ve hardly spoken for 20 years.
Indiana Jones: All I have to do is squeeze.
Elsa: All I have to do is scream.
Elsa: Dr. Jones?
Indiana Jones: Yes?
Elsa: I knew it was you, you have your father’s eyes.
Indiana Jones: And my mother’s ears but the rest belongs to you.
Elsa: It looks like the best parts have already been spoken for.
Walter Donovan: You could go down in history.
Indiana Jones: As what? A Nazi stooge like you?
Indiana Jones: Dad, you’re going to have to use the machine gun. Get it ready!
Indiana Jones: 11 o’clock! Dad, 11 o’clock!
Professor Henry Jones: What happens at 11 o’clock?
Indiana Jones: TWELVE! ELEVEN! TEN! ELEVEN O’CLOCK, FIRE!
Walter Donovan: As you can now see, Dr. Jones, we are on the verge of completing a quest that began almost two thousand years ago. We’re just one step away.
Indiana Jones: That’s usually when the ground falls out from underneath your feet.
Indiana Jones: Petroleum… I should stick a well down here and retire.
Indiana Jones: Listen. Since I’ve met you I’ve nearly been incinerated, drowned, shot at, and chopped into fish bait. We’re caught in the middle of something sinister here. My guess is Dad found out more than he was looking for and until I’m sure, I’m going to continue to do things the way I think they should be done.
Professor Henry Jones: You say this has been just another typical day for you, huh?
Indiana Jones: NO! But better than most.
Indiana Jones: Well, we made it!
Professor Henry Jones: When we are airborne, with Germany behind us, then I will share that sentiment!
Indiana Jones: Bingo!
Elsa: You don’t disappoint, Dr. Jones. You’re a great deal like your father.
Indiana Jones: Except he’s lost and I’m not.
Indiana Jones: Ahh, Venice.
Professor Henry Jones: Son, there’s something I have to tell you.
Indiana Jones: Don’t get sentimental now, Dad, save until we get out.
Professor Henry Jones: The floor is in fire, and the chair.
Indiana Jones: It’s a leap of faith.
Indiana Jones: This one. I think he’s in here.
Elsa: How do you know?
Indiana Jones: Because it’s wired.
Fedora: You lost today, kid. But that doesn’t mean you have to like it.
Young officer at castle: If you are the Scottish lord, then I am Mickey Mouse!
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Quotes (2008)
Indiana Jones: Dance on your own time, will you?
Indiana Jones: I think we both knew Marion, it wasn’t gonna work!
Marion Ravenwood: You didn’t know that! Why didn’t you ever talk to me about it?
Indiana Jones: Because we never had an argument I won!
Indiana Jones: Brutal couple of years, huh, Charlie? First Dad, then Marcus.
Dean Charles Stanforth: We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away.
Mutt Williams: You know, for an old man you ain’t bad in a fight.
Indiana Jones: Thanks.
Mutt Williams: What are you, like, 80?
Indiana Jones: You want to be a good archaeologist… you’ve got to get out of the library!
Mac: You’re lucky I turned up, Jonesey. Dovchenko there wanted to blow your brains out. That’s the third time I saved your life.
Indiana Jones: Unshackle me. I’ll give you a big hug.
Indiana Jones: Oh, Marion, you had to go and get yourself kidnapped.
Marion Ravenwood: Not like you did any better.
Indiana Jones: Same old, same old.
Mutt Williams: One of the scorpions just stung me! Am I gonna die?
Indiana Jones: How big?
Mutt Williams: Huge!
Indiana Jones: Good.
Mutt Williams: Good?
Indiana Jones: When it comes to scorpions, the bigger the better. Small one bites you, don’t keep it to yourself.
Indiana Jones: So what are you, a triple agent?
Mac: Nah, I just lied about being a double.
Indiana Jones: Where’d they go? Space?
Professor ‘Ox’ Oxley: Not into space. Into the space between spaces.
Indiana Jones: I’ve got a bad feeling about this.
Indiana Jones: Oh, that can’t be good.
Speaker Voice: All personnel, it is now one minute to zero time. Put on goggles or turn away. Do not remove goggles or face burst until ten seconds after first light.
Indiana Jones: Oh, that can’t be good at all.
Col. Dr. Irina Spalko: How fortunate our failure to kill you, Dr. Jones. You survive to be of service to us once again.
Indiana Jones: Well, you know me, always glad to help.
Marion Ravenwood: You still living a trail of human wreckage, or have you retired?
Indiana Jones: Why? You looking for a date?
Marion Ravenwood: With anybody but you!
Mutt Williams: “Grave robbers will be shot.”
Indiana Jones: Good thing we’re not grave robbers.
Indiana Jones: Quechua, local Incan dialect.
Mutt Williams: Where’d you learn that one?
Indiana Jones: Long story.
Mutt Williams: I got time.
Indiana Jones: I rode with Pancho Villa. A couple of his guys spoke it.
Mutt Williams: Bullshit!
Indiana Jones: You asked.
Col. Dr. Irina Spalko: Belief, Dr. Jones, is a gift you have yet to receive. My sympathies.
Indiana Jones: Oh, I believe, sister. That’s why I’m down here.
Indiana Jones: How did Deidra take the news?
Dean Charles Stanforth: How does any wife take such things? The look on her face is a combination of pride and panic.
Marion Ravenwood: What the hell is that?
Professor ‘Ox’ Oxley: A portal! A pathway to another dimension!
Indiana Jones: I don’t think we want to go that way.
Indiana Jones: What’s your mom’s name again?
Mutt Williams: Mary. Mary Williams. You remember her?
Indiana Jones: There’ve been a lot of Marys, kid.
Indiana Jones: Leave it to Ox to write a riddle in a dead language.
Indiana Jones: Be careful, you may get exactly what you wish for. Col. Dr.
Irina Spalko: I usually do.
Indiana Jones: Compass! I need a compass! You know, north, south, east…
Indiana Jones: What exactly am I being accused of other than surviving a nuclear explosion?
Mutt Williams: Split, split, split, split!
Indiana Jones: You’re going too fast!
Mutt Williams: That’s a matter of opinion!
Indiana Jones: Eventually, they’re gonna let me out of this chair, comrade. And when they do, I’m gonna break your nose.
Indiana Jones: I haven’t talked to Harold Oxley in 20 years. He’s a brilliant guy. He could put you to sleep just by talking.
Mutt Williams: Yeah. Yeah. When I was a kid, that’s how I did get to sleep. Oxley’s voice was better than a glass of warm milk, you know.
Interesting Facts about Indiana Jones Movie Series
After we had some fun with great and memorable Indiana Jones quotes from the movie series, it’s time to learn some interesting facts about the Indiana Jones movies that may even surprise you. Enjoy!
- Ke Huy Quan Who Played Short Round was Discovered by Mistake – Steven Spielberg and Mike Fenton (casting director) were having trouble casting a young actor to play the role of Short Round. So, they decided to make an open casting call in an elementary school in Los Angeles, hoping to find the right young kid to play the part. As a result, Quan’s mother came to the audition with Ke Huy’s older brother. However, during the audition, Ke Huy started correcting his older brother and instructing him what to do. Both Spielberg and Fenton were amazed and asked Ke Huy to come back and audition along with Harrison Ford. Ke Huy couldn’t read English very well, so Spielberg allowed him to improvise. Later, Ke Huy explained that the reason he was so relaxed and did well was because he had no idea who Spielberg or Harrison Ford were. He never saw the first movie (Raiders of the Lost Ark) and had no idea that this was an audition for a sequel.
- The PG-13 Rating Was Created by Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Movie – The violence in the movies Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Doom and Gremlins (which Spielberg was involved in both) started a controversy if such movies are suitable for family viewing. So, Spielberg decided to write a letter to the president of the MPAA, and suggested to create and implement a new rating group. According to Spielberg, these could be “PG-13,” “PG-14,” “PG-2” or “R-13”. This will allow people to watch such movies that will be rated between PG and R-rated movies.
- The City of Petra Owes Thanks to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Movie – Some scenes of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were shot in Petra, and after the movie was released, it enjoyed a swarm of tourists visiting the city. Before this movie, Petra saw only a few thousand visitors per year, but after the movie was out, the number of tourists sky-rocketed to millions of people visiting there every year.
- Sean Connery Refused a Cameo Appearance – Connery and Ford played together in the third movie (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) and for the fourth movie (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull), Connery was offered a cameo appearance, but he refused.
- The Shooting of the Swordsman in Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark Was Not in the Script – Do you remember the famous scene where Indiana Jones simply shoots the swordsman in the movie? Well, this scene was actually not in the script. Originally, Ford was supposed to use his whip to get the swords out of the swordsman hands. However, the crew and actors had suffered a food poisoning prior to shooting the scene, and as a result, Ford was too weak to perform such a maneuver. After several unsuccessful attempts with the whip, Ford suggested to simply shoot him, to which Spielberg agreed.
- The Indiana Jones Franchise Was Created When George Lucas Was Taking a Break from Star Wars – Back in 1977, just before the movie Star Wars: Episode IV was about to be released, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg went to vacation in Hawaii. There, the two came up with the idea to make an adventure movie, and along with Lawrence Kasdan they developed the script to what would become Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark movie.
- Harrison Ford Was Casted Last for the Role of Indiana Jones – Harrison Ford was not the first thought for the role of Indiana Jones. In fact, he was casted last for the role, because many other actors who were proposed the role couldn’t commit to it or simply refused to play it. And so, Harrison Ford was cast less than 3 weeks before principal photography began.
- The Sound of the Boulder in the First Movie is the Sound of Honda Civic Tires – At the beginning of the first movie (Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark) there’s the famous scene of a huge boulder chasing Indiana Jones. Well, that huge boulder is actually made of fiberglass, yet did not sound quite right. So, to make it sound right as it’s rolling towards Jones, Ben Burtt who was the movie’s sound designer decided to record the sound of his car’s tires rolling on gravel.
- Harrison Ford Was Pranked During Filming of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom – During filming of the movie, Steven Spielberg, Carrie Fisher, and Barbra Streisand decided to prank Harrison Ford. During the filming of the whipping scene, when Harrison Ford is ready to do as scripted, Barbra Streisand suddenly appears wearing a leather dominatrix oufit and begins whipping Ford. Only moments later, both Carrie Fisher and the director of Empire Strikes Back, Irvin Kershner, appear as well.
- Three Characters in the Movies Are Named After Dogs – The character of Short Round is named after the screenwriters’ dog. The character of Willi is named after Steven Spielberg’s dog, and the character of Indiana Jones himself or Indy, is named after the dog of George Lucas.
For more quotes from adventure movies, please visit our pages dedicated to Captain Jack Sparrow quotes, Back to the Future quotes, John Wayne quotes, and Braveheart quotes.